2015 Science Fiction/Drama Rated R 93 Minutes
|In Theaters||April 10, 2015|
|On 4K UHD||June 6, 2017|
|On Blu-ray||July 14, 2015|
|On DVD||July 14, 2015|
Alex Garland, writer of 28 Days Later and Sunshine, makes his directorial debut with the stylish and cerebral thriller, EX MACHINA. Caleb Smith (Domhnall Gleeson), a programmer at an internet-search giant, wins a competition to spend a week at the private mountain estate of the company’s brilliant and reclusive CEO, Nathan Bateman (Oscar Isaac). Upon his arrival, Caleb learns that Nathan has chosen him to be the human component in a Turing Test—charging him with evaluating the capabilities, and ultimately the consciousness, of Nathan’s latest experiment in artificial intelligence. That experiment is Ava (Alicia Vikander), a breathtaking A.I. whose emotional intelligence proves more sophisticated––and more deceptive––than the two men could have imagined.
Rated R for graphic nudity, language, sexual references and some violence.
Box office gross: $25.4 million. View box office history.
Released by A24 Films. See more credits.
Mentions in News Stories
- Review: 'Life Like' proves that even pretty robots can be bad
- Review: 'Replicas' will test your limits
- Review: 'Ex Machina' is its bloody best in 4K
- Review: A24 delivers another slow-burn winner with 'The Blackcoat's Daughter'
- Review: They really should not have let 'Morgan' out
- 'Spotlight' steals Leo's glow at the Oscars