2009 Science Fiction/Action/Suspense Rated R 112 Minutes
|In Theaters||August 14, 2009|
|On 4K UHD||Not Available|
|On Blu-ray||December 22, 2009|
|On DVD||December 22, 2009|
Twenty-eight years ago, aliens made first contact with Earth. Humans waited for the hostile attack, or the giant advances in technology. Neither came. Instead, the aliens were refugees, the last survivors of their home world.
The creatures were set up in a makeshift home in South Africa’s District 9 as the world's nations argue over what to do with them. Now, patience over the alien situation has run out. Control over the aliens has been contracted out to Multi-National United (MNU), a private company uninterested in the aliens' welfare – they will receive tremendous profits if they can make the aliens' awesome weaponry work.
Rated R for bloody violence and pervasive language.
Box office gross: $115.6 million. View box office history.
Released by Sony Pictures and Screen Gems. See more credits.
Mentions in News Stories
- South Africa represents in sci-fi trailer for 'Chappie'
- Monday Morning Mixer: Mixed bag for 'Elysium' and other newcomers
- New 'Elysium' trailer gives away too much
- Is 'Elysium' a look into our very future?
- Monday Morning Mixer: Chilly opening for 'Ice Age'
- The mysterious 'Project X' surfaces with a trailer